Ca-RAZIE DaZe

So our TV broke yesterday. Jeremy's response was to say "We will just have to do without for a while, I guess..." and my internal response was "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
The TV has been my afternoon babysitter so I can 1)blog, 2)read a book, 3) play Flyff, 4) take a nap. To be deprived of my electronical assistant was heart-breaking.
So, what did I do? I tried to make the TV work over and over and over and over...and it worked! Well, one half worked...don't ask... it makes me tired to explain.
As soon as Eva's nap was over, I threw the kids in the car and went to our local Wal-Mart and got a new TV plus DVD/VCR player. YAY!
I took the new little friend home, glee in my heart that I was no longer the sole parent in my home from 8-5. I unwrapped the TV, picked it up, and dropped it.... My previous internal response became 100 % real:
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Ugg...TV TOO BIG, HOLE TOO SMALL...UGG...
I almost lost it...Because, as I was trying to shove the too-big TV into the too-tiny hole, our Christmas tree fell over and my children descended upon it like so many velociraptors on a dead cow. Have YOU ever seen a one-year-old OD on candy canes? Yeah....


So, next came the "I HAVE TO FIND AN ENTERTAINMENT CENTER BEFORE MY HUSBAND GETS HOME!!" I went to 5 stores before I found one that wouldn't require me working in a mine some where or sawing off my own leg, or becoming an indentured servant. Hooray for thrift stores that sell used products. $65 was all it cost to make my dreams come true!

The people down at the place were less that helpful, though...I waited for almost 20 minutes for them to bring out my entertainment center, and then they didn't want to put it up on my car. It's like, sheesh! I am a lone woman...how on EARTH am I supposed to get it up there by myself? They finally conceeded, and I drove home at 3 miles per hour. I got home the same time Jeremy did and the look he gave me was priceless. Unfortunately, that kind of priceless look wasn't the one I was hoping for.
After pleading with our neighbors to help us get it off the car, our entertainment center was wheeled to our apartment, where it promptly broke.

Fortunately, Jeremy is a handyman...

Much, much later, after children were in bed, and dinner was eaten, I was feeling pretty rotten about the whole experience. I had ruined our budget, and I had taken on too much, and I had stressed our children and my husband beyond breaking point. So what did I do?
I blamed Jeremy.
Yeah, I know.
It went something like this:
"You know, if you had gotten a new TV weeks ago, this wouldn't have happened...Why don't you ever fix problems??? Why do I have to do it??!!!!"
"Um...the TV wasn't broken a few weeks ago..."
"Yeah, and the sink too!"
"What??"
"Nothing...I am sleeping on the couch..."

Ah...poor, poor Jeremy. He must really love me. I suppose the day was my reward for buying things that aren't necessary... You know how they say that virtue is its own reward? So is stupidity.

Comments

Trillium said…
I assume you have "I'm sorry, Honey" pretty much perfected by now? Sorry you've had a nightmare of a time. You sure make it sound funny, though!

Your "problem" is you are an optimist. A pessimist would have never even started to try to fix the problem. They would have gotten depressed and grumpy, and stressed out their family that way! And there'd still be no TV.

I am a realist. I would have forseen all the problems, and have made a big batch of fudge instead, and then eaten it all. Then, hating myself, I would have made my family miserable too. And still, there'd be no TV.

So. See? Things could have been worse! LOL
Anonymous said…
LOL! I dunno, that pan of fudge sounds pretty good right about now....I LOVE your fudge...FUUUDDDDDDGGGEEEEEEEEEE....
pardinte: "I'm sorry" in latin
Rebecca's Oasis said…
Been there. Done that. I understand the feelings all too well. I don't blame Victor any more. I just explain the reason for my distress and then burst into tears and walk away.

Then I spend the next couple hours doing absolutely nothing (justified because I am so sad)... :)

I have become quite handy myself and when I can actually remedy a situation on my own the conversation includes "Look what I have done." Isn't it cool? What do you think?" You should be proud of me, I took care of it all by myself (in my mind I'm saying: you should have done it and you better say something nice)... :) And then I smile at him - and walk away and do nothing for a couple of hours (justified because I accomplished enough for one day)... :)

airryp: the sound of towel racks falling off the wall because I didn't screw them into the stud
Katscratchme said…
Holy cow... I must be a realist.. the problem is.. I don't know how to make fudge. And because I'm a realist, I obsess over how I can mess up the fudge and then I'm sad I don't have any....

"nutsense" - need I say more?
DebbieLou said…
Now days, most everyone can relate to your story. (Sadly) I remember this one time the power went out in our apartment complex in CA. After a while everyone came out of their apartments and finally got to know some of their otherwise reclusive neighbors. It was kind of fun!

Not only did it make everyone more grateful for some of the things they had taken for granted, it helped some people get a better perspecitve on just how unbalanced their lives had become in terms of sense of community and so forth. (Not to mention show how ill prepared some of us were in case of a crises!)

Perhaps this happended to you for a divine reason.
Zaphod said…
I am a man, and I have no idea what any of you guys are talking about.

Popular Posts