Hmmmm

I have to admit, if I am sitting some where, anywhere, I get antsy if I am not doing something with my hands. I am worried one day I will end up picking my nose just for something to do. The reason I bring this up is because I feel guilty...Let's back up a little. Ahem.
Four years ago, no wait...let's back up some more. I remember being a little girl watching my grandmother crochet complete afghans in a half-hour, and even attempted to learn, but apparently it skips generations, or stupid people or something, because I didn't pick it up, despite all her aggravated attempts to teach me. I have to admit, I was more interested in eating dirt than wielding a crochet hook. Years later (MANY MANY years later) I was sitting there in my pregnant body trying to occupy myself with stuff to do before my life was over. I was talking to my sister, Emily, and she told me she was crocheting a scarf, and I thought "HEY! I can probably do that!" and so I started down the crochet path that I have never left since.
My first attempts were...sad...Very very sad...I crocheted my friend a baby blanket and washed it. When I took it out of the drier it looked like a giant baby blue fishing net. My mom then told me to try again, but not wash it, that way I wouldn't never know how awful my work truly was. Time passed, and I actually got pretty good, but after some acquiring some crochet info, I discovered (3 Years later...) that I had been crocheting backward (never mind the horrible realization that some of stitches I had been doing were COMPLETELY WRONG, but I digress...). My friend, Tara (Tara, Dara, Ha ha ha! BFF!), said, upon my discovery, "Hmmm..you instinctively picked the hardest way to crochet...I wonder what that means...*raised eyebrows*" So, I retaught myself how to crochet, and find great enjoyment in creating warm fuzzies for the people I love. But there is a drawback...I cannot sit in church without crocheting something. It just feels wrong...I suppose it's because I feel if I am not doing anything useful when my hands are free I am wasting valuable time. I harbor the hope that God feels the same way. But I always feel like people are staring at me and silently condemning me to Outer Darkness for crocheting during the three hour block. Maybe I should just stand up next Sunday and shout in the middle of Relief Society "Oh YEAH?!! well ALL Y'ALL are going to burn for judging me!" Sigh... I will probably just keep trying to prove to people that I am indeed paying attention. Every Sunday I make sure to raise my hand and make comments while I crochet..."See??!! I can multi-task!" Still...I think I have a condition...Guilty Personality Disorder. It's better than some other disorder..like OCD..Oh wait...

Comments

Amy said…
You are FUNNY!!!!!

Where are pictures of your masterpieces? Now I'm dying to see something!

I'm like that too. I find that I actually listen BETTER if I'm doing something at church. Otherwise, my mind wanders while I'm looking at the speaker. I start noticing their ingrown hairs which leads me to think about their improper grooming habits which makes me then think about how our society is crumbling as a whole...and so on. So. If I saw you crocheting in church, I would just think, "Wow, she's really trying to listen and learn and grow as a person. Good for her!"
Anonymous said…
LOL! You should come to my ward then...Hehehehe! Where the HECK is Roosevelt anywho? I tried E-mailing you, by the way, and you never responded. Maybe I have the wrong address or something. You sent me that Christmas card last year with it. Oh Well..This works just as well. :D
Amy said…
You did?! Did I give you the right address? If I'd a gotten an email, I would've responded! Amyloo789@Yahoo.com.

Roosevelt is about 2 hours east of Orem...the opening of Provo Canyon.
Anonymous said…
Yeah, weird...Oh well! I only cried for a few days after you didn't respond. LOL!
Amy said…
That's my emotionally stable girl.
Anonymous said…
LOL! I was wondering though for a few days if I had the wrong address, and I must. I thought for a little while that you were just messing with me, but apparently not. :D Just kidding!

Popular Posts