Into the Dark

I have always believed that God is there.

I don't know if it's because Mom and Dad taught me so, or if it's because I have guardian angels around me all the time who whisper it to my soul, or if it's because of how beautifully designed the Earth is...

It's probably all three.

In times of trouble, God has always been there.

Sometimes He watches as His child struggles through the thick, and holds back His hand so that they can become stronger.

Sometimes He sends angel upon angle to intervene.

Sometimes He leaves His mark on the horizon, touching up the sunset, great artist that He is.

And sometimes He speaks, when His child is ready to listen.

A few weeks back, I was re-reading "Live the Good Life," by Thomas S. Monson (read it, it's good). I seem to recall the chaper was on increasing faith, but what stood out to me was the scripture from the Bible that he quoted. 

"There shall not any man be able to stand
 before thee all the days of they life: 
as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: 
I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee."
  Joshua 1:5

I liked it so much that I made it our scripture of the week, and put it on display in our kitchen. 

A week later we found out about the immanent layoffs at Jeremy's work. 

And everything I read during those weeks that led up to today had everything to do with having faith. That the Lord would take care of us.

It never said that bad things don't happen.

I never read that good people come away unscathed from life.

But, the message I was receiving, day after day, was that God had His eye on me, and, no matter what happened, we would be okay.

Peace settled and grew in my heart. 

I resolved to myself that when today arrived, whatever the outcome, I would hit my knees and thank God. 

Last night, on the eve of all the uncertainty and turmoil, I commented to Jeremy as we got ready for bed,

"You know, it's a win-win situation." 

He said nothing, his face full of soap.

"If you keep your job, great! If you lose your job, it just means that God has something else in mind that's better." 

We were both quiet for a moment.

Jeremy finally broke the silence.

"If I lose my job, we are going straight to the zoo!"

I laughed.

And was sort of looking forward to the outing.

But God had other plans, and Jeremy is to stay put.

My favorite Hymn of all time is "Lead, Kindly Light." 

Into the dark, I have wandered many times, not knowing what was in front of me, not knowing where I would end up. But God has kept my feet. And He always will.

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you:
not as the world giveth, give I unto you.
 Let not your heart be trouble, neither let it be afraid. John 14:27



Comments

Popular Posts