What I Believe

What a cutie patootie!
A few weeks ago, I was reading on LDS.org. I was casually browsing the handbook of instructions (I do this occasionally when I feel like people are breaking rules...).



I came across a section about the internet, and it said something to the effect that if you are on the internet, gladly share your beliefs.



I filed that away for another time, and kept looking for the dirt I needed on people, er...uh, I mean, clarification on church policy.



*cough cough*



Then we had conference, and I heard the messengers of God speak (namely Elder L. Tom Perry, who spoke about sharing our testimonies of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ) and I filed away some more inspiration, and kept plodding forward.



THEN, a few days ago, I read this in 2 Corinthians 4:

"We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak;"

More filing was done, this time with a little bit of guilt, and I practically tripped over this and hurt myself:

"For I will forgive you of your sins with this commandment—that you remain steadfast in your minds in solemnity and the spirit of prayer, in bearing testimony to all the world of those things which are communicated unto you."

So...This is what I believe.

I believe that the gospel of Jesus Christ was restored by Joseph Smith.

I believe that the Book of Mormon is the Word of God, and was given to us as a second witness (the bible being the first) of Jesus Christ.

I believe that we receive modern-day revelation from a prophet of God, and he speaks the will of a loving Heavenly Father.

I believe that God loves me, and made me unique, and that I am eternally important to Him, as his child.

And you are too.

And I don't just believe.

I know these things are true.

I have tested them out for myself.

I have felt the presence of angels.

I have asked God to know if the Book of Mormon is true.

I have asked if Joseph Smith is a prophet.

I have gained a testimony of my Savior, Jesus Christ, and know that he suffered and died for me, and for all mankind, because he loves us, so very much.

I know that if I keep a few, simple rules that God has set down, that I can, through the atonement of Jesus Christ, return to my Heavenly Father, and live with him, and my family, forever.

This is my testimony.

I don't know everything, and I have so, so much to learn. But I know that God is still a God of miracles, and he has worked miracles in my life, and he will work them in your life, if you have faith.

I don't know all the mysteries of God, but I know a little, and it's not how much you know (though it is important that you continue to study and seek knowledge), but how you act on what you know.

And I know God will bless me with knowledge as I seek it.

What do you believe?

Comments

ceej said…
I believe EVERYONE has the right to believe what they believe without any judgement. So while I have differing beliefs, I totally commend you for speaking about yours. I like to keep mine to myself nowadays just because I feel like I get preached at every time I say I don't believe in something someone else does. I hope I can teach my son to be open minded about the differences of peoples all over the world and that we are all the alike in that none of us are exactly the same :)
Kristin said…
beautifully said!
Rebecca's Oasis said…
well little sister, I think we are prompted in many different ways. Sometimes we have to be pushed really hard to have a better understanding of Heavenly Father's plan. You and I have talked before about forgiveness and I have even shared the same scripture in previous blogs. I have learned two things in the past year 1) men and women are called to serve, not because they are perfect, so that they can become perfect. 2) when we learn to be tolerant and patient and forgiving we can accept others for who they are. One last thing: when we share our testimonies we offer healing and inspiration to those who hear it and feel it. Love you lots! You are learning so much faster than I ever did.

Popular Posts