The Carbohydratato



Eating well is difficult, especially if you limit yourself to tasteless foods like tofu.

Tofu is gross.

Just sayin'...


BUT, eating well can taste wonderful, too. You just gotta know how to mix it.


One of my favorite things in the world is a potato. Potatoes are super fantastic.


They have a super bad rap, too.


Potatoes are a starchy vegetable (like cooked carrots) and most diets will have you shun them like they are the plague: "Carbs! Oh the horror!"

But it's not the potato's fault (or the carrot's either). They are just misunderstood.

The real culprits are the cheese, sour cream, butter, bacon, and general lard we pile on top of the innocent potato.

If you can't live without those toppings (and I know I can't at times...butter...yum...), go with lower fat versions. I know some people "can tell" the difference, but if you don't know it's low fat, you probably can't taste it. I know I can't. But I've been eating low fat or fat free for quite some time, so I'm probably not a reliable source.

It's like Tara's little girl. She couldn't have dairy, so she didn't know what fabulous thing she was missing by not eating ice cream, and ate some abominable soy/tofu/bean curd/tree-hugger "ice cream" and genuinely enjoyed it. You, too, will eventually forget.

Unless you are stubborn.


But, what about all those carbohydrates??? Carbohydrates aren't bad, unless they come in overly processed forms, like, say, that brownie I ate yesterday. A potato carbohydrate is far better than a candy bar carbohydrate. The closer your food is to having just popped out of the ground, bush, or tree, the better. The more processed, the lesser the value.

So, happily eat your potatoes. Just be careful what you dump on them. A good alternative to circling the potato bar is to visit the chili pot. Pour some good, healthy chili on your potato, and sit back in satisfied wonder.

Or, try this recipe. It is by far my most favorite way to eat potatoes.


Roasted Potatoes adapted from Brown Eyed Baker


18 (four for me, four for Jeremy, four for Eva, four for Joshua, two for Lily) red potatoes, cut into wedges (I usually get about 8 wedges from one potato)

1 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil

1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs (I use a little less than this)

2 TBSP Parmesan cheese

Heat the oven to 375.

Toss all ingredients together (I toss with the EVOO first, and then add the other ingredients). Spread on cookie sheet. Bake for 30-40 minutes, stirring half-way through.

These are way, WAY, WAY better than any french fry on earth. Yum!

Comments

Popular Posts