The Gift of Life's Surprises





































Life doesn't always turn out like we expect.






And that's okay.






One thing that keeps us on track through life's unexpected twists and turns is our faith.






I was talking to a friend who was concerned about the path one of her children has decided to take. She said, "We've tried to do everything right, and teach him the best we could. I spent as much time with him as possible when he was young, and now, I just don't know what else to do."






I could feel this tender-hearted mother's genuine anguish, and tried to reassure her that even though things didn't turn out like she had planned, that, ultimately, it would be okay.






My mind turned to Proverbs 22:6 (though, the reference didn't...I had to look it up, because, let's face it, I'm not savvy when it comes to that sort of thing. Shame on me, I know):

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

I also thought about what has been said about teaching your children, and then letting them govern themselves. That's a tough one.

And as hard as parenting is at times, and how frustrating it is, these moments when we are at a loss, and don't know what to do, it is a magnificent comfort to know that there IS someone who knows what to do, and that we can trust in a loving Heavenly Father to guide us and bring us peace.

And it seems fitting to add at this time of year that the Atonement of Jesus Christ wasn't just for sinners, but for all men who have sorrow and pain, have experienced loss and discomfort, and who's aching hearts need a soothing hand.

Life doesn't always turn out how we plan, but that's okay. What we go through teaches us to be malleable, to accept change, and to grow in the way best for us...

...not just the way we want to go.

Comments

Rebecca's Oasis said…
It's funny that you mentioned that proverb. I have it on a plaque in my living room. I look at it constantly.

I also remind my children of what they have been taught and I also let them know that they have the agency to govern themselves...

Most of the time I am pleased with my children. We just need to trust that Heavenly Father loves them as much as he loves us.

Popular Posts