Disappointed



We've been house hunting...sorta.

We've been looking at houses online, and waiting for the little bits of green paper to reproduce in our savings account. We are so close...But not close enough.


Jeremy has been on the ball calling realtors, looking at websites, filling out paperwork...and today, a realtor called him about the house we both adore (although we haven't actually seen it in person). There was an offer submitted to the bank on it, but since it was a short sale, back up offers were acceptable.


Jeremy bounded through the door, excitement oozing from his pores.


"WE GOTTA PUT AN OFFER IN!" He exclaimed. In his excitement, he forgot to pick up dinner, and I quickly reminded him that there were hungry people in the house.


"OH YEAH!"


So, he rushed out, and then came back lickity split.


"WE GOTTA PUT AN OFFER IN!" He exclaimed, tossing pizza all over the room.


"We can't," I replied, pulling bits of pepperoni out of my hair.


Jeremy got really quiet.


"What?" His eyes got a little misty.

I sighed, not anxious for what was going to come. I don't like popping people's balloons, but sometimes you have to...


"We really won't have the down payment until next month. What with hospital bills, blah blah blah..."

The look on Jeremy's face was like I had just told him that the sun fell out of the universe and, since there would be no sunlight, we would have to eat canned celery for the rest of our lives (Jeremy hates celery. Something I didn't know until last week.). If you can't imagine what that looks like, think of Jimmy Stewart in "It's a Wonderful Life" when his son is putting tinsel on Jimmy's head. Remember that part? (To get Jimmy Stewart to actually cry, the director told him that the sun fell out of the universe and he would have to eat canned bok choy for the rest of his life. After that scene, the director told Jimmy the sun got magically pinned back up in space, and that resulted in the display at the end of the movie when Jimmy is running through the town with joy: "MERRY CHRISTMAS, BEDFORD FALLS! THE SUN IS STILL IN THE SKY!" But, they edited the last part out, so don't look for it if you watch it.)


When the sun sets in Jeremy's tender heart, there is no rising until he is good and ready to let it up from under the mound of earth it is buried under (Jeremy's heart has medieval ideas about how the solar system works). I tried to get him to laugh, and that resulted in him telling me not to, but in the end the sun peeked out (after I told him he was a house-ho (like being a he-ho, but with houses...crude, I know, but it worked) and he will get over that house if it ends up being sold. He falls in love with houses so easily. I don't blame him though. We have lived in the ghetto too long.), and I am sure things are on their way to be happy and jolly.


Wish us luck!

Comments

Bethany said…
Good luck and so exciting! House hunting is a pain, but worth the trouble. I am thrilled for you guys!
Tina said…
Oh this sounds all too familiar. I too would fall in love with a house and be crushed when it didn't work out but you know, now I'm glad those other houses didn't work out because I LOVE MY HOUSE!! You will find the right one for you! I can't wait to hear all about it!! Good Luck!
Trillium said…
If the "one and only" house doesn't work out, take my word for it: it is probably a "blessing in disguise." Have faith! If you trust in the Lord, all things shall work together for your good.
Rebecca's Oasis said…
nice things about houses is that you can repaint; hang pictures; plant flowers, etc.

If it is not perfect yet, it will be when you are done.

When Victor and I moved into the house he grew up in I hated the house. It has been 10 years and I have definitely made my mark. It is not my dream house - it is on its way... :)
Les said…
House hunting can be such a roller coaster. I remember when Brett and I were looking for one, I found myself trying to hid in Harry Potter books because I didn't want to disappoint Brett by saying "no". It is amazing how the Lord will guide you when things are right. Brett and I weren't really thinking about building but then it just seemed right, we have been living in our home for 3 years now and looking back we can see that this is where we are supposed to be. Good luck, the hardest part can be waiting and being patient. (something I am still working on)
Amy said…
Good luck! You are quite resposible!

Popular Posts