Junk

Sometimes, I feel like this:

I think we all do sometimes. We carry around so much junk, both physically and spiritually. And most of the time, like this junk woman, we feel like everything we have piled up is valuable. And, most of the time, it isn't.

Why do we hold onto these things? Maybe it's because it makes us feel grounded. Or maybe it's because it gives us an identity.

The problem is that we are so overloaded that we, through the clink and clank of things, don't hear God talking to us. It's only after we lay down these things that we can hear Him.

Unfortunately, most of the time, the only time I lay it down is when I am sleeping. That is why I am grateful that Lily would wake me up in the middle of the night. God would talk to me while I held His sweet little one.

Most of the time, I would just feel bad. Clarity is something that hits everyone like cold water at 2 AM. No, I don't think God was trying to make me feel bad. I think He was telling me who I am, and I knew I hadn't measured up to His (or my own) expectations.

I am so grateful for those moments. It's like I have woken up, and suddenly all these things I have been carrying around don't matter anymore. Of course, that doesn't stop me from shouldering all the garbage I do.

I think it takes practice to put down our heavy loads and take up the Lord's burden. And His is so light, in comparison to what we try and haul around. The burden He gives us is one made of love; ours are frequently driven by imperfect desires.

Remember that Heavenly Father loves you, and put down your burden and listen to what He is trying to tell you. Nothing in this world is worth more than what He has to offer.

Comments

Rebecca's Oasis said…
Very nice. When Jennifer and family were living in Beaumont I had one of those moments of complete break down because of all the "junk" in the house and I couldn't get my hands around it.

I called Jennifer and asked to come help me. We spent many hours decluttering my dining room and clearing out the kitchen.

By the time we were done I could breathe again. Since that time I have not allowed such clutter or junk to accummulate. It is such a burden.
Katscratchme said…
There is something nice about getting rid of a bunch of crap... we did it when we left ABQ... however, I AM still a tiny bit sad about some of the stuff we had to leave.

Popular Posts