Cheap



Jeremy likes to save things. Like plastic bags, empty plastic containers, boxes, large envelopes.... Not a day goes by that I don't catch him stashing away what normal people (like me) would call trash.




In turn, I don't like spending lots of money on any one object. It hurts my feelings. Jeremy, on the other hand, feels that if you are going to buy something you should buy the best quality, even if it costs an arm and a leg. It's worth it in the end, he philosophizes.




I suppose that makes sense. It doesn't stop me from buying cheap stuff, though. I guess the logic doesn't follow that buying 100 cheap things is better than buying one expensive thing, but I do it anyway.




About two years ago, Jeremy and I upgraded our cell phones. We didn't have a lot of cash at the time, so we felt it was prudent to go with the free option. We felt pretty smug about it. Until we got the phones. You definitely get what you pay for. It was only afterward that we discovered that T-Mobile was paying people to take the phones we got for free.




So, since you can only upgrade your phone every two years (Unless you want to play full price. No, thank you.), we have suffered through. As soon as the time was up, Jeremy was bouncing off the walls to get a new phone.

"I want a Blackberry," he grinned.




I choked and fell on the floor.




After reviving me, Jeremy persisted.




"I want to get a good phone this time," he rationalized, patting my face. I couldn't argue with him. Our phones are crap.




I couldn't wrap my brain around spending that much money on a mini-computer with buttons. I went to T-Mobile's website and found a phone that had all the features he wanted in a cheaper model. No dice.




He glared at the screen.




"Well...I'll think about it." Which, as everybody who has parents knows, means "no."




He finally decided to use his own personal mad money to buy the stupid Blackberry. My option wasn't fancy enough for him. As he purchased the expensive device, he glowed with anticipation. He has spend everyday since following his phone as it travels from the great state of New York across the country. It is currently in Colorado skiing.




Jeremy said it was now my turn to upgrade my phone. I was starting to feel paranoid about my previous choice. It was like I was considering buying a station wagon after Jeremy bought a Ferrari. Or, rather, I got a moped and Jeremy a tank.



I hemmed and hawed, but my inner Ebenezer Scrooge prevailed and I upgraded my phone to my first choice. I am worried I just bought the latest version of the Nokia 5130 Crap.




But, hey, it's just a phone, right? All I need it for is to receive and send calls...sniff...




*Crushing sound as tank runs over moped*

Comments

Rebecca's Oasis said…
I feel your pain. I go through the same thing with Victor.

As you know he has the IPHONE. Although when it stopped working properly he took the opportunity to visit the Apple Store in Salt Lake when were visiting to see if he could get it fixed.

They gave him a new phone for "FREE". He was happy and so was I.

Now, I have a Sony Ericsson cell phone/walkman and it functions just fine. I have had it for two years and I can upgrade - but I won't. It needs to die first.
Amy said…
If nothing else, be glad you can get Nokias with your plan. Those are my favorite phones because you can actually get ones that don't flip or slide or play fetch. I like the basic phones that just sit there.
Katscratchme said…
Don't get me started... I'm still irritated...
Les said…
Oh the joys of being a penny pincher, you are singing to the choir.

Popular Posts