Heheheh..






I put up my Christmas tree yesterday.....hehehehe! My little apartment is bedecked with all the holiday trimmings, and I am PUMPED for the holidays! Oh YEAH!


As I was trimming the tree, Joshua informed me that presents needed to be under it, and my immediate impulse was to yell "BAH-HUMBUG!" at my little boy and hand him a piece of coal. I resisted the urge, and began to consider what to do about the whole present thing this year.





It was really bothering me.


I thought, "Sheesh, who's birthday is it anyway?"


Presents are supposed to be the symbolic representation of the gifts given to Christ at His birth, His gifts to us, etc. It's not a holiday to go bankrupt to satisfy your need to hear that crinkly paper rip.

My friend, Christina, came over with her husband, and we began talking about Christmas, and how it has turned into a "ME ME ME!" holiday, and she told me this little rhyme one of her friends told her:

"Some thing you want, some thing you need, some thing to wear, some thing to read."


"GREAT SCOTT!" I exclaimed, slapping her on the back. "THAT'S IT!"


Well...I really didn't do that, but my soul did.


I think it is a great idea! It keeps things in perspective, and you are getting 3 useful things out of 4. Yay! Or if you are really clever, you can fit it all into one gift. Like a sweater that has words on it. You need a sweater, you want a sweater, you have something to wear and something to read! Hehehehe....


Lucky for me, Jeremy only wants useful things...darn freakishly expensive air compressor....Except that he wants a model airplane. A 30 year old man wants a toy airplane. I suppose it's like the 66* year old man I know who builds toy ships and displays them in his family room. Ahem...

Anyway, to all of you penny-pinchers out there, remember that poem! It will keep you on track and in perspective!


*Due to lack of accurate information, our above post had some erroneous content and has since be corrected. The original text stated that this old man was 65, but in reality he is 66 (103 in senility and 4 in ability to share). For further information, or to donate money to our research team, please call 1-800-YOU-KNOW Mon.-Fri. 9:ooam-5:00pm, closed Sat. and Sun. for system defragmentation and staff parties.

Comments

Rebecca's Oasis said…
I can't wait until we get home after Thanksgiving. I will be decorating the house. If I am really good, I wil do it before we leave. Victor might not like that... :) He has already told me that I can't decorate for Thanksgiving since we won't be here.

After the crazy Christmas Gift Orgy we had several years ago when David's family joined us for the festivities I vowed to not ever have a Christmas like that again.

My kids will get a few gifts this year - all useful.
Trillium said…
Could that "65 year old man" actually be a tad bit older???? Like maybe 66? But who's counting? LOL
Anonymous said…
LOL! I couldn't remember exactly what year he was born...so I made rough estimate...hehehehehe
gring: the sound of dad's teeth when he reads my blog.
Amy said…
You're nuts...ALREADY a tree?! What moved you to do that?

I love the little rhyme...it's perfect!
Anonymous said…
Seriously, Amy, I would have a tree up all year round if I could! I LOVE Christmas. It is my favorite holiday!
leafhopper said…
You are an early bird but if it makes you happy - do it. It seems that Christmas comes faster every year and then it is all over too quickly. So I guess why not enjoy the season longer :)
Rebecca's Oasis said…
There was a house in Indiana that always had a Christmas Tree up. But I think it was because the woman left it up waiting for her missing son to return home... kind of sad...

But I like Christmas decorations too. I left my criche up until the beginning of February last year and then had it on the pool table until September... In two weeks I will probably have it set up in the front yard again.
Zaphod said…
Hey! That ship model took me 6 months to build, with pain accuracy, I might add.

resse: As in "I resse my case".

Popular Posts