I have become Emily's worst nightmare.

Have you ever done something deliberately to annoy someone? A sibling perhaps? A co-worker? A parent? A spouse?
Well, this one goes out to all of you out there! The deliberate annoyer, the teasing jester, and the little sisters all around the world!
Growing up, I LOVED to follow Emily around. She was not only my sister, but because she was so close to me in age, I felt that I had a right to make her my playmate. Emily, as she will probably tell you, didn't really appreciate all this attention, and chalked it up to me wanting to be as annoying as possible.
It wasn't the case, though. I just really, really liked (and still do) Emily and I wanted to share every waking moment with my creative elder sister. What really happened, though, was that I would often be standing outside her door knocking, and she would say "GO AWAY!" and the times I didn't knock, she would yell "YOU DIDN'T KNOCK!" which often resulted in her forcibly removing me from her room, while I tried desperately to stay in.
Emily truly believed that I was just trying to annoy her. I still find this astonishing. My one true ambition all growing up was that she would accept me as one of her friends. It finally happened one day, and I don't know when it was, but I am glad it did. I hope now she can accept that I never intentionally wanted to bug her.
But, as time has gone on, I have learned to deliberately annoy people. It's actually kind of fun, so I can see why Emily thought I might be partial to it. "Oh yeah!?? What happens when I do THIS to you??! HUH????! BWAH HA HA HA HA!"
Having the kind of associations I do, I am exposed to quite a variety of people. With no small amount of giddy pleasure, I sent an email to these people, knowing full well it would probably make them angry. But, with beating heart I clicked my mouse and sent the electronic bee into their respective inbox bonnets and like magic I got a response from one of them. It was well controlled, but I could tell it was taking a lot of energy for this individual to not say something nasty to me in return. Don't get me wrong, I didn't say anything mean, in fact I didn't say anything at all! All I sent were links to various websites. But the experience taught me something. While this individual no doubt thinks me the most aggravating person they have ever met, they took the time to try and rationally discuss the issues I presented at their table (political issues...I think I chose a good one!), and even tried to be unbiased... It took me a few minutes to stop looking for some hidden snide remark (which I never found), and I had to tell myself to be open-minded (which resulted in my learning something).
There are definate drawbacks to jabbing your annoying opinion at people just to make them react. For instance, all respect they may have had for you is lost. If that doesn't bother you, then, go ahead! You will find it invigorating, I am sure.
So, does being annoying have it's merits? Oh definitely! But I am sure if I hadn't been, I might have saved myself some trouble...even though it was fun...hehehe....(I actually feel bad now...sheesh. I hate blue personalities! WHY MUST GUILT BE MY CONSTANT COMPANION???)
Arrogant assumption may be the bitter perpetuator of ignorance, but deliberate, pointed annoyance is the mother of discovery!

Comments

Chris said…
Yeah, we are so mean to our siblings when we are younger, huh. It's not until that we are older that we start to feel the guilt.
Trillium said…
Bitter experience can be a good teacher. . . . unless you are an incurable optimist. (The optimist thinks: "Maybe THIS time, I can pull this off without suffering from any backlash of guilt or loss of respect ...") . . . or unless you are a "five-time-learner." But, cheer up: I still love you. :D
Anonymous said…
LOL! I might remind you that it was YOUR idea to send the email! hehehe!
Jen said…
Ohhhhh! I can't wait to hear this one!!! I love it! Of course, I'm a yellow, not a blue. :D
Trillium said…
Well, I am a white: a coward through and through. I start waving my white flag even before the battle gets underway: "I give up, I give up!!" If I were a red, I could go charging in and proclaiming my views at the top of my lungs. And I wouldn't care whose toes I mashed--for their own good, of course. LOL.

Popular Posts