Falling on deaf ears



God is talking to me. Fervently, but quietly. Pleading for me to stop and hear Him.




Last week, before I got hit by the car. Last night, when I was trying to sleep.




But for some reason, when He speaks, I don't know it's Him.




As my family and I were riding our bikes right before I got hit, I was thinking of the day, of how lovely it was, of how glad I was to be out of the house, how glad I was that Jeremy was toting the kids, and not me. Then, from out of nowhere, I had this thought, clear as if someone had read it from a book next to me, "I am going to be hit by a car." I wondered on that for a while, and I thought how interesting a situation that would be if I did indeed get hit by a car, and then let the thought slip past, and kept going.




Last night, both Jeremy and I were exhausted from our day. The kids were crazy, our dryer died, I was tired from exercising, from not paying attention to what I was eating, I was stressed out from dealing with all that comes with an almost-four-year-old, tired from being on the computer too much, watching TV too much, everything too much. As we turned off the light, my husband fell asleep, and I just laid there. I was boggled as to why I was not asleep since I had been exhausted when the light went out. But, nevertheless, I laid in the dark, trying to understand why I was awake. I thought it was something I ate, something I watched, something I did right before bed that caused me to lay wakeful.




At 7am, my husband shot out of bed because his alarm didn't go off, which cause him and 3 other co-workers to be late.




There are many other times things like this have happened. God keeps giving me opportunities to listen to Him, just for my own and my family's sake, to answer prayers I have made in our behalf, but I am not hearing what He has to say. Why am I surprised He does? And, why don't I listen?




I shouldn't be surprised. All day long I pray for guidance, sometimes it's all I can do to keep from breaking apart. And I yearn for God to push me along, telling me what to do next. I scream from within myself for help, but I can't hear Him. It's not until I am quiet that He speaks, but because I am not looking His direction, I don't know it's come from God.




When did I fill my life up with so much noise that I ceased to be able to hear and recognize God? What unfailing patience God has with his children. What unfailing love and concern for their well-being.




It humbles me that I don't even know where to start to quiet down my life. I have lived with so much turmoil in my soul for so long it's as if that is all I have ever known. Have these experiences caused me enough anxiety for me to make a permanent change in my behavior and way of thinking? I have to hope so, and quietly listen.

Comments

Jen said…
It's okay Dara. Half the time when I do hear Him, I don't understand the message. It's like he's speaking to me in Morse Code and the only code I know is "SOS".
leafhopper said…
I know how you feel. There never is quiet as you know with two kids, especially boys who wrestle and make enough noise for 10 kids. I believe He knows the trying times as mothers with small children and blesses us anyway. As long as we use the quiet times (lying in bed, quiet walks, or driving without the radio) to ponder the things in life, we become better people. See you did listen and you have become more aware.
Trillium said…
An eloquent introspection. Touched my heart. (I, too, have to struggle with "noise.")

I ran across this again today:

"These are days that require us to wake up to the realities of an ever-darkening world. An apostle of the Lord (Henry B. Eyring) recently warned:

"As the forces around us increase in intensity, whatever spiritual strength was once sufficient will not be enough."

A year or so ago, I think I gave you a copy of this talk that these quotes are from.

The essence of the talk can be summed up with these quotes:

"When we are weary, worried, in despair, restless, lonely, misunderstood, indecisive, discouraged, overlooked, overweight, overwhelmed, overwrought, underappreciated, underemployed, or undernourished with love, is our immediate question, "Where is the temple?" For women of covenant, it needs to be.

"When we are in desperate need of freedom, comfort, or direction, when our aching hearts cry out, "How long O Lord?" is our first thought, Where is the temple? It needs to be—actually it must be—if we, as women of God, are going to survive the roller-coaster days, now and in the future."

I would also add: when we seem not able to hear or recognize the voice of the Lord in our lives . . . . The quiet of the temple may be the very place we need to go to more often so that we can stay in tune with that voice.

If you lost your copy of that talk and would like another, I can email it to you. And to anybody else who is interested. The title of the talk was, "That Thy Outgoings May Be in the Name of the Lord": Solving Our ... Problems through Celestial Therapy," by Wendy Watson (now the wife of Russell M. Nelson).
Anonymous said…
ah yes...I loved that talk! Please send it again. I loaned it to a friend, and then I don't know what I did with it after that. Thanks, Mom!
DebbieLou said…
My partriarchal blessing also talks of the temple as a rest from the cares of the world. I have found it to be true. It seems like everytime I go I never want to leave the Celestial room!

I hope you didn't get hurt very much in the accident. What a blessing your kids were with Jeremy!
Anonymous said…
Yes! I have thought the same thing many times!
Rebecca's Oasis said…
Dara: I have learned that we have to practice listening. We have to practice having a conversation with our Heavenly Father. I know for me I have to make a specific time and place to pray and to listen to Him. I have to stop what I am doing and wait to hear his answers. When I don't take the time I have missed out on precious promptings. the trick is to not get discouraged but to begin again and try harder each time. Eventually the promptings come easily and become natural. I am sure that mom would agree that we are given a life time to learn precious truths and to learn to stop and listen to the Lord. You have learned something that I did not learn until much later in life. You have recognized that Heavenly Father is there and he is speaking to you (even if you don't recognize it at first).

Popular Posts