Birds of a feather








When my husband and I moved into our apartment a year ago, we thought having birds would be great fun, but never did it. Jeremy has had birds for most of his life, and the idea appealed to him. So, on Saturday, as I was heading over to the local nursery, I spotted the local pet shop and impulsively stopped, parked, walked into the store, stared at the finches and had the employee put two in a little box. As I stood at the check out, I thought to myself "What am I doing?" but proceeded to pay for the birds, and sign my name in blood that those birds belonged to me, and my soul now belonged to PetSmart. When I arrived home, my husband was asleep on our bed. I came in and he looked at me with his watery eyes and said "Alright, what did you buy?" Any volcanic explosion was diverted when I told him they were birds. We proceeded to set up the cage with all the bells and whistles (literally) and then the hard part came: getting the birds out of the box, and into the cage. Finches are extremely skittish, and I doubt I will ever be able to snuggle them. Jeremy watched as I wiggled my hand into the small opening at the top of the box and chased one birdy around for what seemed like forever. I finally grabbed on and shoved him into the cage. Watching me wipe the sweat off my brow, Jeremy decided he wanted to do the next one. He put his hand in, and the bird looked at him through the air holes, jumped into his hand and began singing. I was slighly annoyed. They then danced around the room together, did a secret handshake, then Jeremy put the bird in the cage. *Snarl* I am so glad we bought the birds. They make cute little chirping sounds, and one of the actually sings in the morning. Wikipedia says that's what the males do. So, I have one male for sure, Toffee, and the other one, Marble, is still a baby, but I have a feeling it is male. I am glad. From what I have read, the trouble with breeding Finches is not getting them to start...it's getting them to stop.

Comments

Popular Posts